Gift of Hope - Brain Death Simulation Workshop
Brain death determination and management requires a unique blend of up-to-date knowledge, technical skills, and interpersonal skills to assure accurate diagnosis and optimize family coping. The goal of this workshop is to provide attendees with a comprehensive experience that will enhance confidence with the most contemporary approach to brain death determination and management.
After attending this education activity, participants will be able to:
• Accurately diagnose brain death and readily recognize brain death mimics
• Properly employ ancillary testing when necessary
• Perform an apnea test properly
• Interface with families and discuss brain death in an authoritative manner without ambiguous vocabulary
• Gain knowledge and understanding in how to manage the physiological alterations of patients with catastrophic brain injury
• Constructively interface with OPOs in the management of brain dead patients and their loved ones
The target audience includes physicians (attendings, hospitalists and fellows or residents in neurology, neurosurgery, critical care, trauma surgery or emergency medicine) interested in a comprehensive experience that will enhance confidence with the most contemporary approach to brain death diagnosis and management.